To: All Christians Across Church Denominations
Zimbabwe Brief Profile;
Zimbabwe has had chronic challenges of all sorts including endemic corruption, bad stewardship and political violence for a long time resulting in today’s fragile and broken nation
It is conventional wisdom that we have been enduring this circle of poverty and political violence since before Independence amidst our dominant cultural disposition and strongholds of self-centeredness, fear and propaganda and the quest to dominate, exercise power and have priority rights over others; as a result, we are consuming and destroying one another
We are also polarised politically, spiritually and socially and society is currently so fragmented and operating under the ‘each man for himself and God for us all’ mantra without any understanding of the concepts of democracy and nationhood or undertaking any cultural development of society.
The million-dollar question with all Zimbabweans today, is HOW do we come out of this pandemic crisis of chronic poverty, brokenness and perpetual retrogression?
If truth be said, there is no quick fix solution for our challenges, nation building is slow and requires had work, collective responsibility and inclusive participation.
What is urgent however, is to turn this Ship of State 180 degrees from the current wrong trajectory of political violence, perpetual decline, bad stewardship and endemic corruption; to a new trajectory of justice, democracy, good stewardship and sustainable development.
Is this an impossible mission, maybe yes humanly speaking; is this mountain steeper than Mount Kilimanjaro, maybe yes; no wonder we have been stuck here for many years. This Mountain, however we may wish to describe it, is not the problem. Our God specialises in things thought impossible and he can do what no other power can do.
The real problem is us the people, especially the Church; we are riddled with deception, factionalism, partiality and divisions when we should be united and honest; we are walking by sight, fear and doubt, when we should be walking by faith; we are self-righteous and look down upon each other, when we should work together and look up to each other’s God given gifts and abilities; we are mostly religious and idolatrous hero worshippers of Church leaders when we should be the Church or disciples of Jesus Christ.
This is wickedness which requires sackcloth and repentance. The bible says if my people who are called by my name, shall humble themselves and pray, and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways; then I will hear from heaven, forgive their sin and heal their land. May God’s grace be upon us this season as we come together in prayer and repentance unto righteousness
The bible also says we must seek first the Kingdom of God and his righteousness; we the Church have been given the keys of the Kingdom. Dominion has been given to us to establish land territories and build nations. The British took this mandate and built Great Britain, The Americans did likewise and built the United States of America and so did other peoples. Now is the time for Zimbabweans to build a new Zimbabwe.
As we step out to build our new nation, let us be vigilant and mindful that self- serving leaders do not build anything; they are only takers. Self-centred people do not build any nation, they are only takers. It is difficult and foolish to entrust nation building or public assets to people who do not value truthfulness, honestly, accountability and public service in high regard. Humble servant leaders who love and empower others should be given priority for public office.
The keys of the Kingdom have been given to us the church of Jesus Christ to lead the process of repentance and renewal towards the making of a great nation. We are the light of the world and we must lead our nation to the sunlight plains of civilization, justice and righteousness. This renewal process begins with an inclusive dialogue process by the people towards a proper agreement
The bible says whatever we bind on earth will be bound in heaven and whatever we loose on earth will be loosed in heaven. If we agree on earth concerning anything, it will be done for us by our father in heaven. We have the keys; heaven is waiting for us to sit down as a people and dialogue and agree a shared vision for a new Zimbabwe. Once we dialogue and agree, heaven will bind that agreement and we will become citizens of a brand-new Zimbabwe.
Where are the Esthers and Mordecais of our generation; what about the Nehemiahs and Ezrahs. Let us step out elders and community leaders; mothers and fathers; young men and young women; boys and girls and lead the church and the nation in this season. Let us come together and unify the body of Christ in prayer and repentance as we lead the reconciliation, unification and renewal of Zimbabwe. The bible admonishes us to work and pray for the peace and prosperity of the city, because the welfare of the city will determine our welfare as families or individuals.
The steps below will be strategic and fundamental in our renewal and healing process;
- Acknowledgement or Confession – We need to acknowledge our shortcomings, our past failures, mistakes or wrongs and or our knowledge gaps and seek appropriate remedy for all. We can only remedy what we have properly acknowledged. The business of blaming others when we should take responsibility is our greatest undoing.
- Repentance and Forgiveness – Once we are convicted and remorseful of our past wrongs, there is need for us to cry before God and others in Repentance for ourselves and for others. This must come from the heart and must be genuine as evidenced by tangible fruits thereafter. Some Church leaders and National leaders need serious repentance and renewal of mindsets to allow the church and the nation to move forward. Let us pray for this grace. We must also be willing to forgive those who have wronged us
- Collective Responsibility – Even though some are more wrong than others in regards to the crimes and mistakes of yesterday; we however take collective responsibility for past wrongs in order for us to create an enabling inclusive platform for all to create the best possible tomorrow for the nation. The bible in Nehemiah chapter 1 gives us a great example to emulate.
- Unification of the Church and the Nation – We have only one Jesus Christ who died for all the sins of humanity. We have one God the father, Son and Holy Spirit. We have the same bible for the one body of Christ. Therefore, there is no justification for the Church to be divided by Church leaders through their humanistic doctrines. The Body of Christ must unite and work together from across church denominations and facilitate the unification of the nation
- Inclusive Participation – Despite Some people participating in elections and demos; these in Zimbabwe hardly solve any problems. Dialogue by politicians alone has happened several times in the past but nothing tangible came out of the talks. What remains outstanding and what we urgently need is National Inclusive dialogue. This is a platform for inclusive and genuine dialogue towards sustainable solutions for Zimbabwe. Let us pray and petition God to make this dialogue possible and pray that all Zimbabweans will step out to participate in effective and substantive nation building
- Servant Leadership – A nation rises and falls on leadership. We are currently broken as a nation because our institutions and churches are plagued with self-serving corrupt leaders. Let us pray for a new breed of passionate, honest and faithful servant leaders who will prioritise truth, justice, righteousness and sustainable nation building. A leadership that loves and cares for people.
As we read through this letter, I believe God will deposit a certain burden, understanding or revelation for each of us to take before the Lord in Prayer. Prayer by faith works always. When we pray, we are talking to God inviting his divine intervention into our earthly situation. The things that are impossible with us, are nothing before God. The giant Goliath is nothing before the God of heaven and earth!
Our major responsibility in this season is genuine repentance so that the church has a right standing and positioning before God. The Church must be restored to the headship of Jesus Christ and every Christian must place their faith for healing and salvation in Jesus Christ alone
Luke 3: 7-14 John admonishes us to prove by the way we live that we have repented of our sins and turned to God. The axe of God’s judgement is poised ready to sever the roots of the trees, yes, every tree that does not produce good fruit will be chopped down and thrown into the fire…
May God’s grace be upon us all as we together pray and seek God for the healing of our nation.